Welcome to HowTheMarketWorks, the web's most popular FREE Stock Market Game!
Practice Trading Stocks
, Register for FREE
, or Create A Custom Stock Market Game for Your Class
Have you ever wondered How the Stock Market Works?
Join 575,464 members in our
Register now and find out why over 275,000 individuals and 10,000 elementary, middle, high school, and college classes used this site in the last 12 months to learn about the stock market and practice trading.
HowTheMarketWorks.com was created to help beginners understand how the stock market works by giving them virtual cash of $25,000 to $1,000,000 so they can practice trading U.S. Stocks, ETFs and Mutual Funds.
In addition to the stock practice account, this website features hundreds of educational articles, glossaries, Words of the Day, and Quotes of the Day so that students learn a little more each time they visit.
When you register for free
, you will receive a brokerage account with a virtual $25,000 in cash and you will be able to begin practice trading immediately. Once registered, you can also create your own contest and invite your class or friends. To help you get started, visit our Education Center
for hundreds of articles, videos and tutorials.
If you want to trade global stock exchanges like Toronto, London, India, Mexico and other world markets, then register for our other site, the FREE Global Stock Market Game
. Or if you want to practice trading stocks, options, and futures, register for our Stock-Trak Portfolio Simulation
website which is popular among college level Investments Classes.
Teachers, Professors, Investment Clubs:
All registered users can also create their own private game or stock market contest for their students or friends. To create your own private contest, register and then follow the links to Create a Contest.
Best of all, this site is completely free
Join a free Stock Contest!
Teachers, Professors, & Investment Clubs – Create your own custom Stock Market Game
Create your own private stock game competition for your class or club. Set the trading dates that fit your class schedule (have your students trade for one week, one month, one year--whatever works best for you!), choose the initial cash balance you want your students to have, and set other trading rules like commission rates.
To get your class started, just register for free now and then follow the links to create your own contest.
It is absolutely free!
Go ahead and
Virtual Stock Exchange
Our stock simulator performs like a real brokerage account but using virtual money.
You can practice trading real stocks, ETFs, and mutual funds using real-time market prices
and get the practice you need before trading in real life with your real money! If you are brand new to the stock market and want more help, you can get also take our online stock market course to learn about beginning investing
with our Investing 101 Online Course. Our virtual stock market will help you learn How The Market Works, give you ideas on what stocks to buy, and help you learn the basic stock market terms.
* Remember, HowTheMarketWorks offers free real-time stock quotes
for most U.S. stocks.
Special features include:
- Try our free stock market practice trading game. You can practice trading without any risk!
This is also known as a Stock Simulation or Fantasy Stock Trading.
- Look for answers on our Frequently Asked Stock Market Questions page. If you don't find them there then try our Message Boards.
- Do you want to Get Started in the Market but have many questions first?
- New! If you want to practice trading global stocks from Toronto, London, India, Mexico, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Australia and other European and Asian markets, then register for our free GLOBAL stock market game where you get to choose the currency of your account and create your own custom contest for your class or friends.
- New! If you want to practice trading global stocks, options, and futures, then try our other site StockTrak Global Portfolio Simulations and click on Individual Investor.
- Try our free Real-time Quotes and Charts.
- What affects Stock Prices? What are Penny Stocks?
- New! Practice Forex Currency Trading free, with real-time Forex Quotes and Charts!
We have 392 guests online
When a management with a reputation for brilliance tackles a business with a reputation for bad economics, it is the reputation of the business that remains intact.
- Warren Buffet
Want to trade GOLD?
Try the GLD